Solace House is a grief counseling center specifically designed to be a nurturing place to guide children, individuals and families through the difficult time following the death of a loved one. They are provided opportunities to share, listen, learn and heal.
Grief affects people in different ways and triggers a variety of emotional issues. Solace House is not the answer for situations requiring crisis counseling, psychotherapy, or other general mental health counseling or therapy. It is best to wait at least a couple of weeks before starting services.
Solace House is a beginning point for grieving families who need compassionate direction. Solace House helps people regain a sense of balance and equips them to honor loss and integrate the grief journey into their life experience.
Solace House is the only organization of its kind to serve the Greater Kansas City metropolitan area and surrounding communities.
- Services for children ages 3 through adults
- Grief support groups
- Individual, couples and family grief counseling services
- Referral services if Solace House is not the right resource
- Life-after-loss presentations, seminars and outreach
- Graduate-level educational internships
- Volunteer opportunities
The goals of Solace House are to help children, individuals and families:
- Explore their reactions to death
- Understand emotional, behavioral, physical, social and spiritual responses related to loss
- Adapt to changes they may experience
- Develop strategies for coping, communicating, accepting and healing
Solace House was founded on these beliefs:
- Strong emotional reactions, like deep sorrow or anger, are natural reactions to the death of a loved one for children as well as adults
- Everyone has the capacity to heal
- The intensity and duration of each individual’s grief is unique
- A caring community can greatly assist in the healing process
Solace House is a not-for-profit organization and welcomes donations. Some services may have a fee.
How to Get Started
- To inquire about the Solace House program and our services:
- Call to initiate services at 913.341.0318
- Schedule an orientation
- Be accepted into the program and placed into a support group and/or assigned to a therapist
- Ask about additional resources to assist you and your family
Solace House is on a bus line and centrally located for families throughout the Kansas City metropolitan area. We are located one mile north of Ward Parkway Mall on the west side of State Line Road within the State Line Executive Office Park.
If you are interested in educational training or presentations for your organization or business, please contact Solace House. Presentation and training topics can include grief in the workplace, loss at school, and children and grief.
Solace House is a program of Kansas City Hospice & Palliative Care.
Solace House does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability or religious beliefs.